Newsletter EUBC by President Franco Falcinelli – December 2018 / January 201910 January 2019
Dear Boxing Friends,
2018 was a very challenging year. Sport competitions, training courses and the implementation of new projects has enhanced even more boxing in Europe.
In the wake of the year just ended, we are ready to start 2019 in the best way.
In the course of 2018, the Boxing National Federations organised 52 International Competitions, 5 European Championship and 1 European Union Championship. During the 8th edition of World Series of Boxing (WSB), the European Continent has been represented by 5 teams.
We have also to define 2018 as a particular and difficult year for the world boxing, characterized by management changes within our International Federation.
In the life of every institution, as well as in the life of every person, it is possible to face more or less beautiful, difficult or lucky moments, but as Mohammed Ali said: “you can fall inside or outside the ring, it is important to stand up and keep fighting”. This must give us the motivation to look at the future of our beloved sport with positivity and desire to do even better.
The AIBA Congress, held in Moscow in November last year, has clearly shown the will of our Federations in the choice of its leader and the management team. I am convinced that boxing, with more stimulus and strength, will confirm the right to exist in order to continue its precious and indelible tradition within the world sport and the international Olympic movement.
January 2019 will be characterized not only by competitive activity but also by an important event that will take place on January 20th in Rotterdam (Netherlands): EUBC Awards Ceremony. The Event will be organized by the EUBC in collaboration with the Dutch Federation and for the first time in the EUBC’s history the best representatives of the European boxing will be rewarded.
The categories that will get the award are the following:
- Best National Federation
- Best male boxer
- Best female boxer
- Best male coach
- Best female coach
- Best Technical delegate
- Best Official
- Best male Referee/ Judge
- Best female Referee/ Judge
- Best journalist of boxing
- Best promotional project
I am pleased to inform you that the event will be broadcast live on the EUBC website.
The beginning of 2019 is getting ready for another important event of our Confederation: the EUBC General Assembly will take place in Moscow (Russia) from 21st to 24th February. The Russian capital, after having excellently organised the AIBA Congress, will host the European four-year event which will see the participation of all the National Federations and it will allow the European boxing movement to come together to share the activities of the Confederation and to elect the new members of the EUBC Executive Committee.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank the Russian Boxing Federation and its leadership for demonstrating their willingness to organize the most important event of the EUBC. I am sure that our delegates will always find an excellent hospitality and an excellent organization offered by one of the most important countries of the world boxing scene.
EUBC MONTHLY ACTIVITY 2018: TOURNAMENTS AND CHAMPIONSHIPS
- December – 1 International Tournament organised by Federation of Russia;
- November – 6 International Tournaments organised by the National Federations of Cyprus, Macedonia, Czech Republic, Croatia, Kosovo and Serbia; 1 EUBC European Union Boxing Championships (Valladolid, ESP);
- October – 4 International Tournaments organised by the National Federations of Belarus, Bulgaria, Netherlands, Finland; 1 EUBC Junior European Boxing Championships (Anapa, Russia);
- September – 7 International Tournaments organised by the National Federations of Poland, Turkey, Lithuania, Belarus, Bosnia e Herzegovina, Romania, Spain;
- August – 2 International Tournaments organised by the National Federations of Serbia and Russia;
- July – 3 International Tournaments organised by the National Federations of Germany, Serbia, Ukraine;
- June – 3 International Tournaments organised by the National Federations of Russia, Georgia, Germany; 1 EUBC Women’s European Boxing Championships (Sofia, BUL);
- May – 10 International Tournaments organised by the National Federations of Albania, Spain, Belarus, Azerbaijan, Lithuania, Russia, Czech Republic, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina; 1 EUBC Schoolboys and Schoolgirls European Boxing Championships (Albena, BUL)
- April – 3 International Tournaments organised by the National Federations of Bulgaria, Ukraine, Serbia; 1 EUBC Youth European Boxing Championships (men and women) – Roseto degli Abruzzi, Italy);
- March – 7 International Tournaments organised by the National Federations of Hungary, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Finland, Poland, Lithuania, Montenegro; 1 EUBC Under 22 European Boxing Championships 2018 (Targu Jiu, Romania);
- February – 4 International Tournaments organised by the National Federations of Hungary, Bulgaria, Belarus, Montenegro;
- January – 2 International Tournaments organised by the National Federations of Serbia and Russia.
WORLD SERIES OF BOXING (WSB) – SEASON 8
5 European teams took part at the eighth edition of the World Series of Boxing (WSB):
- Italia Thunder
- Croatian Knights
- France Fighting Roosters
- British Lionhearts
- Patriot Boxing Team
EUBC PROJECTS 2018
- Boxing supporting the project “Sport and Nature” of the Foundation Sorella Natura
This project has the aim of involving active athletes and former athletes in the training for the title Guardia Ambientale Volontaria “Custodi del Creato” (Environmental Voluntary Guard “Custodians of Creations”), to protect the environment.
- Aiba Gender Equality Forum (September 17th/ 18th, 2018, Sofia, Bulgaria)
The “Aiba Gender Equality Forum” proposed by Emilia Grueva, Chairperson of
the AIBA Women’s Commission
As part of several reform programmes being embraced by AIBA, “gender equality” is one of the top priorities, and the Gender Equality Forum also aims to increase gender equity in all aspects of boxing”, like AIBA press release said.
The Forum was focused on developing innovative approaches in order to
promote equal opportunities for more girls and women. This will allow them to participate in the sport of boxing and receive increased benefits.
- The “Star of the Ring” and the “Voice from the Corner”
We want to emphasise the feats and values of our best boxers in order to make them popular and followed with more attention from social media. Soon, on official EUBC website and on EUBC social media, will be published the interviews with the best European boxers who have distinguished themselves in the major international competitions. We should not forget the key role of coaches. Them too will be dedicated specific interviews with the aim of get to know better their teaching methodologies and, if possible, meet their little secrets of teaching boxing.
- The “Floor to Presidents”
These interviews are addressed to Presidents of European Boxing Federations in order to create a direct contact with them and to know programs and projects of our National Boxing Federations.
- With Boxing for a Parkinson’s Disease
In Florence (Italy) is growing an interesting project created by Dr Maurizio Bertoni, specialist in Orthopedics and Traumatology, and supported by Massimiliano Baldesi, Chairman of the Tuscany Regional Committee and by the Italian Boxing Federation.
Taking into consideration the recent studies done at the University of Indianapolis, published on Physical Therapy, it has been showed that a constant physical training improves the quality of life of patients suffering from Parkinson disease, even if the grade of disease is moderate-heavy.
- 2018 AIBA Coaches Commission (8/9 June, Assisi, Italy)
It’s been two days of intense work under the guide of the Chairman Adam Kusior, in which were discussed high-value technical and organizational issues.
- Coach Courses: AIBA 1-Star and 2-Star Coach Courses (March)
- Aiba Referee & Judge Commission (March 9th/12th– Assisi, Italy)
EUBC MONTHLY ACTIVITY – DECEMBER 2018
- 12- 17 December 2018 – International Tournament “World Cup of Petroleum Countries” (Khanty-Mansiysk, Russia)
EUBC MONTHLY ACTIVITY – JANUARY 2019
- 14-21 January 2019 – 8th Nations Cup (Sombor, Serbia)
- 29 January/ 2 February 2019- Open regional Men and Women Boxing Tournament in memory of Merited coach of Belarus A. Kolchin (Orsha, Belarus)
EUBC AWARDS CEREMONY IN ROTTERDAM (NED)
January 2019 will be characterized not only by competitive activity but also by an important event: the EUBC Awards will take place on 20th January 2019 in Rotterdam (Netherlands).
EUBC ACTIVITY OF FEBRUARY 2019
The EUBC General Assembly will take place from 21st to 24th February in Moscow (Russia).