Newsletter EUBC by President Franco Falcinelli – March 201916 April 2019
Dear Boxing friends,
As you well know, the past March has been characterized by 4 important events:
- Gafur Rahimov stepped aside as AIBA President
- Mohamed Mousthasane has been appointed as AIBA Interim President
- Umar Kremlev stated that Russia is ready to cover the debts of AIBA
- U-22 EUBC Championships that took place in Vladikavkaz (RUS) on March 8 – 17
- President Gafur’s decision to step aside in this particular moment of AIBA should be recognized and appreciated as a gesture of high responsibility and love for boxing. For over 25 years he has always put the well-being of our sport and athletes above anything and now, in order to avoid further instrumentalizations, he has preferred to continue serving our sport by stepping aside and declaring: “I trust that the truth will prevail”. Thanks again President Rahimov.
- Immediately afterwards, the Executive Committee of AIBA voted the Vice President Mohamed Mousthasane as the AIBA Interim President to continue the important progress made in different areas of our International Association.
- Umar Kremlev, General Secretary of Russian Boxing Federation, AIBA Executive Committee Member and EUBC First Vice President offered to pay International Boxing Association’s $ 16 million debt if the IOC keeps boxing in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics
“I am ready to close all the debts of AIBA in full, so long as our favourite sport remains in the Olympic program”, Kremlev declared.
After this sensational proposal that comes from an authoritative and serious person and on behalf of the most important Boxing Nation in the world, the IOC is forced to take the decision that all boxing fans and the 203 National Federations in the world expect: to officially declare that boxing will be present at the Tokyo Games and approve the Olympic Qualification course for our athletes as soon as possible.
It would be difficult to understand the non-acceptance of this proposal.
EUBC U-22 European Boxing Championships
- 38 Participating Countries
- 273 boxers (185 men and 88 women)
It is important to highlight the wonderful organization of this important EUBC Event. Thanks to the Russian Boxing Federation leaded by Mr Umar Kremlev and to the Local Organizing Committee, the Team Delegations had a chance to discover the beautiful region of Russia with great traditions that until now was unknown to many of us. I would like to highlight the excellent hospitality and accommodation offered by Region of North Ossetia – Alania.
The participation of the Minister of Sport of Russia Mr Pavel Kolobkov (in featured image with EUBC President, Mr Franco Falcinelli), the Head of the Republic of North Ossetia – Alania Mr. Vyacheslav Bitarov, the President of South Ossetia Mr. Anatoly Bibilov and the precious work of the Head of the Boxing Federation of North Ossetia – Alania Mr Konstantin Dzgoev, gave a significant image to our Olympic discipline along with the great number of spectators during all sessions of the Tournament.
During the same event Vladikavkaz hosted the EUBC EC Meeting that took place on March 16 at the Grand Hotel Alexander. Among the most important decisions, the EC Members unanimously assigned the 2019 EUBC Schoolboys & Schoolgirls Championships to the Boxing Federation of Georgia.
This important competition for European school age boxers will be held in the Capital of Georgia – Tbilisi in August, but the exact dates will be determined following the final decision on the assignment of the EUBC Women’s Championships that will be held in the same month in Spain.
The EC approved the composition of the EUBC EC Bureau and I am pleased to congratulate the EUBC Vice President Eyup Gozgec (TUR) and EC Members Suleyman Mikhayilov (AZE), Bono Bosjak (CRO) and Nenad Borovcanin (SRB) and the EUBC Commission Chairmen for their appointments:
The Chairmen of EUBC Commission:
- EUBC Coach Commission – Mr Felipe Martinez (ESP)
- EUBC Communication & Marketing Commission – Mr Volodymyr Prodyvus (UKR)
- EUBC Competition Commission – Mr Sumaid Khalidov (RUS)
- EUBC Medical Commission – Dr Ioannis Filippatos (GRE)
- EUBC Passion for Boxing Commission – Mr Boris van der Vorst (NED)
- EUBC Referee & Judge Commission – Mr Waldemar Mencel (AUT)
- EUBC Women’s Commission – Ms Susanne Karrlander (SWE)
- EUBC Youth Commission – Ms Tatiana Kirienko (RUS)
The EC has also approved the appointment of Mr Alberto Tappa as EUBC Treasurer and Mr Alessandro Oliverio as EUBC Legal Counsel.
In order to promote the EUBC activity worldwide and give more visibility to European Boxing we have created a new position of Marketing, Promotion & Partnership Director and we have entrusted Mr Gian Marco Sandri to cover this important role.
In regards to the EUBC competitions, following the request of the Balkan National Federations, the EUBC Executive Committee has unanimously approved the re-launch of the Balkan Boxing Championships. This important boxing event will be held every year and will be organized each year by a different National Federation and will hopefully become a mandatory step for the growth of Balkan and European Boxing.
EUBC Tournaments took place in March:
- March 5 – 9, Gomel (BLR): Open International Boxing Tournament for prizes of Alexey Yukov (Youth)
- March 7 – 10, Helsinki (FIN): Gee Bee Tournament (Elite)
- March 19 – 24, Vilnius (LTU): XIV International Danas Pozniakas Tournament (Youth)
- March 26 – April 2, Baku (AZE): Great Silk Way Tournament (Elite)
- March 27 – 31, Kharkiv (UKR): International Tournament for the Sergey Danilchenko prizes (Junior)
- March 28 – 30, Bijeljina, Brcko (BIH): 2ndEuro Cup
- March 31 – April 6, Botevgrad (BUL): 4thInternational Tournament Emil Jechev (Junior & Youth)