Monaco’s new Tammer Tournament winner Hugo Micallef – His Serene Highness Albert II Prince of Monaco is also following my career24 October 2018
Monaco did not have any international level boxers until Hugo Micallef involved to the competitions a few years ago. The young Monegasque talent, who began boxing at the age of 9, has got already 80 bouts and his last achievement was a gold medal at the Tammer Tournament in Finland. His Serene Highness Albert II Prince of Monaco is also following his boxing career closely.
Monaco’s 20-year-old Hugo Micallef dominated his semi-final fight against Estonia’s Hendrik Kont and advanced to the final of the Tammer Tournament after his superb performance. He won the first group of the light welterweight (64kg) following his close success over Austria’s experienced elite boxer Daniel Janicijevic in Tampere.
We asked his experiences, feelings and feedbacks after his gold medal in the prestigious Tammer Tournament.
– How do you feel yourself after this great success in Tampere?
– After winning this gold medal bout I felt very happy and I realized how my work ethic helped me to upgrade my boxing at all levels.
– Which bout was the most difficult for you and what was its reason?
– The final bout was the hardest because my Austrian opponent was very experienced in the international competitions. He was two-time medallists from EUBC European Championships in different age groups and won the Austrian Nationals several times but I was smarter in this bout and I have found my way to victory.
– What was your winning tactic in the final of the Tammer Tournament against the Austrian boxer?
– My winning tactic was just to be smarter, I knew his style so I had to think and adopt his level quickly. The adjustment was the key in my success at the Tammer Tournament.
– How were the atmosphere and the organization of the 39th edition of the Tammer Tournament in Tampere?
– The organization of this event was very good, we enjoyed our stay there in Tampere. About the atmosphere it was full of great vibes.
– Which is your next target in your career? What are your strategic plans for the upcoming two years until 2020?
– My next target is to be the best boxer I can be and to be qualified for the AIBA World Boxing Championships. The plan is to win medals, gain as much experience as possible, put Monaco on the boxing map, and finally win an Olympic medal.
– What were the reactions in Monaco after your gold medal in the Tammer Tournament?
– Monaco went crazy after receiving this news, HSH Prince Albert knows about my success and he is following my career very closely. Monaco is waiting for me to achieve more great things and new medals.
– What does your successes means for Monaco? Could you please introduce Monaco’s boxing life?
– For a small country as Monaco my gold medal means a lot, I am the only one Monegasque boxer who has been attending in the international level. Monaco’s boxing life can be resumed as some galas during the year but also some big events have been held in a very famous casino in Monaco.