The preparations for the 29th Julius Torma Youth Memorial Tournament run according to the plans08 September 2020
The preparations of the upcoming 29th edition of the Julius Torma Youth Memorial Tournament run according to the plans of the local organizers. Besides to the European teams, a North African nation, Tunisia is also registered to attend in the Julius Torma Youth Memorial Tournament.
The Julius Torma Youth Memorial Tournament is one of the important international events of the Czech Boxing Association which will be held in September 23-27. Mr. Adam Kusior of Poland has been appointed by EUBC as the Technical Delegate of the Julius Torma Youth Memorial Tournament.
The safety of all participants, the continuous medical checks, the social distancing, the hygienic preparations, wearing masks and all of the controls are the responsibility of the local organizers in Prague to avoid any Covid-19 cases in the event.
Mr. Julius Torma was a Hungarian-descent boxer who was born in Budapest, Hungary in 1922 but competed for Czechoslovakia in the international competitions several decades ago. He claimed a fantastic gold medal in the London 1948 Olympic Games at the welterweight (67kg) and attended also in the 1952 Helsinki and the 1956 Melbourne Olympics. He had altogether 10 Olympic fights and among them he won eight bouts.
Torma was gold medallist in the Oslo 1949 European Boxing Championships and claimed further bronze medals in the in the Dublin 1947 and in West Berlin 1955 editions. He defeated Hungary’s three-time Olympic Champion Laszlo Papp at the Dublin 1947 European Boxing Championships.
Altogether 45 boxers attended in the 2018 edition of the Julius Torma Youth Memorial Tournament in Prague two years ago when Russia topped the medal rankings. The last 28th edition was a stronger event with the participation of such amazing boxing powers as India, Russia, and Kazakhstan in Prague one year ago.
Facts of the event
- Name: Julius Torma Youth Memorial Tournament
- Date: September 23-27, 2020
- Venue: Prague, Czech Republic
- Gender: Women & Men
- Age Group: Youth
- DOB: 2002-2003 born boxer
Weight categories of the Julius Torma Youth Memorial Tournament:
- 51kg, 54kg, 57kg, and 64kg for the youth women boxers
- 52kg, 56kg, 60kg, 64kg, 69kg, 75kg, 81kg, 91kg and +91kg for the youth men boxers
Schedule of the event
- September 23 – Arrival of the delegations
- September 24, 08:00-10:00 – General weigh-in
- September 24, 11:00 – Technical Meeting
- September 24, from 14:00 – Day1 competition
- September 24, from 18:00 – Opening Ceremony
- September 25, 16:00 – Semi-finals
- September 26, 18:00 – Finals
- September 27 – Departure of the delegations
Contact of the LOC of the event
- Mr. Svatopluk Zácek
- Mr. Václav Chocholousek
- Mr. Pavel Hynek
Email of the LOC: [email protected]